The History of The Bowfield Hotel & Country Club

Legend has it that William Wallace and his men camped at what is now Roebank reservoir to the south of Bowfield.

They then marched the mile or so across the Lands of Bowfield to nearby Elliston Castle where they faced the enemy. The ruins of the castle can still be seen today, at the foot of the Linister Road (sharp left at end of Club drive).

The “Bleaching Fields” were established by John Wilson and Patrick Campbell in the Eighteenth Century on the Lands of Bowfield on what was originally the site of the West Muirdykes Farm steading.

In the late nineteenth century, as the textile industry expanded in Renfrewshire, Bowfield provided the smog – free air and spring water so vital to the grass bleaching process. Fabrics were laid out to bleach in the sun on the grass fields. Substantial premises were required to cope with the boom as the process modernised and moved “indoors”! Bowfield then employed over 200 people and saw trading on a global scale – as far afield as Karachi and Rangoon.

Changing industrial practices led to a decline in the mid Twentieth Century and in 1958 the mill closed. The property was acquired by Robert Campbell in 1963 and was reverted to agriculture and a stud farm.

BOOK A ROOM
BOOK A TABLE